Machine Shop at Richmond
By R. J. DONOVAN, Hon. Sac., N.C.W.
A MACHINE shop, the first section of St. Ignatius’ Trade School, Richmond, established to .train and protect boys from “dead-end” jobs, will be blessed and opened by his Grace Archbishop Mannix on Sunday afternoon, August 4, at 3 p.m. St. Ignatius’ Trade School has been established by the Richmond branch of the National Christian Workers’ Movement. Two years ego, a section of the members, under the leadership of Mr. Frank Murphy, set out to establish a Vocational Guidance and Employment Bureau to assist their members with their employment problems. Restricted by manpower controls, they interested themselves in the future welfare of the senior pupils of St. Ignatius’ School. Talks were given to the senior pupils of the school on pitfalls to be avoided, and the advisability of planning carefully for the future. The bureau was fully
explained, and, ^as a result, has been responsible” for placing many boys in good positions in the industrial world. The bureau always keeps in close contact with the boys and the employer. A great step forward was taken a year ago when it was decided to help the boys by training them to be technicians. To this end it was resolved to establish the “St. Ignatius’ Machine Shop” and give boys during their last two years at school training in the use of machines; training that would enable them to choose a trade that would not only appeal to them, but for which they would be entirely suited. Remarkable success followed their efforts. Despite difficulties that, at times, seeme<j[ insuper-
able, the machine shop is now equipped with modern machinery for both engineering and woodworking. All the machines are equipped with self-contained motors and a special diamond cutting machine has also been installed. A room off the machine shop has been reserved for drawing and theory/ The swinging over of the electrical installations to three-phase was a big undertaking, but this also has been completed and painters have transformed the colour scheme of the machine shop and the machines themselves. The National Christian Workers at Richmond hope that others will follow their lead and that similar establishments will be founded throughout Australia, and cordially invite all interested parents to attend the opening ceremony on August 4 to inspect the machine shop and to support this work for building a new youth— in the schoolroom.
Archbishop to Bless and Open New Enterprise by Christian Workers’ Movement (Advocate (Melbourne, Vic. : 1868 – 1954), Wednesday 24 July 1946, page 4) (Trove)